Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv @ windoze

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv @ windoze
From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:34:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Feb 05, Todd Goodman decided to present us with:

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:
> I'd hope, once compiled the thing runs in any server, no?
>
> Then it would only be a matter of providing (together with the
> binaries) a compiled libxpm*.dll and pointing to XF86 binaries
> (or whatever free X server there is). Isn't there a package of
> Win32 XF86 binaries somewhere?

Presumably the server doesn't require an X Server, so the only part of
Freeciv which needs X is the client, via the dependency on Athena.
Since there has been very considerable progress in making GTK+ work with
and without X on the Win32 platform, it seems likely that a later
version of Freeciv will work "out-of-box", with a pretty GTK+ client.

Hooray! Multi-platform multi-player Civ. This should be bigger than Quake

Nick.