Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Space race patches

To: falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Space race patches
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:02:22 +1100

Falk Hueffner wrote:

>     David> Changing packet info/meaning makes the protocol
>     David> incompatible, which is problematic.
>
> Well, since the space race is currently not really working, I thought
> id wouldn't matter if it was changed.

Yes, true enough, so long as capabilities are used.

>     David> But first we should make sure we have a final complete and
>     David> sufficient protocol for space stuff.  Eg, do we need more
>     David> generality in terms of which modules etc the player assigns
>     David> to each purpse?
>
> I think we should probably add 6 fields in the player space-ship
> structure for the 6 types. We can think after that how the player will
> get the chance do choose when something is built.

Agreed.  Actually, since the spaceship information will be used
fairly infrequently  (that is, not at all except in the relatively
brief time when there is a spacerace happening), I would suggest
having a new packet with all the spaceship details, rather than
including them in the player_info packet.

>     David> Thus far freeciv has avoiding linking libm.
>
> What's the gain in not linking against libm?

Dunno, really.

Regards,
-- David