Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Is client/server protocol documented anywhere?

To: lduperval@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Is client/server protocol documented anywhere?
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:34:15 +1100

lduperval@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> For the hell of it, I've decided to write yet another client in Tcl/Tk
> (and maybe Python/Tk later, who knows?). I was looking at the client
> stuff in the gtk code and was wondering if it was documented anywhere
> other than the code. Something like:
>
> Disband units: n bytes of data where byte 0 = bla, byte 1 = bla, etc.

You really want to have a look in common/packets.h for the packet
definitions, and common/packets.c for how they are packed.
It's quite straightforward.

Note that in Freeciv 1.8, the protocol will probably be changed so
that network byte order is used, so be prepared for this major
change in the future.

What I'd suggest doing is modifying the original client to act
as a "packet sniffer".  Running this client would then show you
the packets that get sent to and from the server, and what they
contain.  You might find this very helpful to look at.

Regards,

Mitch.
--
| mailto:mjd@xxxxxxxxxx       | Not the official view of: |