Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re:[Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:[Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework
From: Mel Ooran <melooran@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:27:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks!

I'm new to freeciv so please don't mind if my
suggestion has already been exposed and discussed
by you: I think that extensibility should not be
limited to races only. As much stuff as possible
should be made customizable for everyone's
enjoyment. I'm aware that quite a lot of work is
involved, but
among all of this, a very interesting
possibility (and fairly painless, as far as I can
see in city.c) thing would be
to make the dictionnary of cities customizable.
I'm sure it would be more fun to get rid of the good old standard
names, especially if your AIs end up having Washington
right in the middle of a desert, or London clinging
somewhere on a mountain range.
Using a dictionnary of cities in combination with
races would give the possibility to create themes,
like the 'good old civ' theme, or the 'gothic world'
theme, or whatever...
So if you plan to extend the game, it would be nice
to make a little room for extensions that go beyond
races...
As a starting point, I can provide a list of 150 city
names (medieval fantasy) that is not copyrighted.

Anyway FreeCiv is a great game, thanks to your efforts

Melooran.