Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:39:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Here large2 would like to default the tiles etc from large, and
> only for those not in large, to default back to "default".
>
> But I'm not sure what the best way of doing this might be.
>
> Maybe each directory has a "spec" file, which tells you where
> to go for other defaults (before going to "default"), and which
> also could have information about the tiles, eg to display when
> the client gives a dialog.

Could make a symlink, so as not to waste disk space.

I do like the idea of a spec file for each tileset, but didn't want to
complicate things.  There's lots of stuff a spec file could do.  You could put
in tile size information, the version of the format for backwards
compatability, the name of the artist, if the tiles use transparent flags or
not, and where default tiles for those that are missing should come from.

> > dialog pops up and people pick race.  Then a flag dialog pops up and people
> > pick their flag.  The default flag for each race would already be selected.
>
> Yep, sounds reasonable.

Someone mentioned that you could get your flag "stolen" and have to play with
the wrong one.  My reasoning behind having the default flags already selected
was so this wouldn't happen; you could always get the default flag unless
you didn't want it.