Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework
From: Jake Kesinger <kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:42:57 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> 1. Flags icons.
>
> Each client will have its own flags.xpm (or equivalent), which
> can be extended locally.  When players select races, they
> also select flags, from the flags known to each individual
> client, and send the flag number to the server.  They also
> select a "solid color", as in Massimo's patch.  The server
> will ensure that players select distinct flag numbers and
> solid color numbers.  The maximum number of players will be
> kept fixed at 14, (though there will be more than 14 races to
> select from), so there need only be 14 solid colors.
> (For AI's, the server will have defaults, or chose some other
> (random?) flag/color if the default is taken by another player.)

I'm a little confused here.  With this scheme, is is possible that a
player can, say, play as the Aztecs with a Mongol flag?

Or is this what you meant:

Suppose we have players Groucho, Chico, and Harpo.

When Groucho connects, the server tells him he is player #1.  (Chico and
Harpo are #2 and #3, respectively).

The game is started.

Groucho gets the pop-up dialogue, and selects race #7 (whatever that may
be).  His client picks flag #7 and, from his player #, color #1.

Chico gets the dialogue, selects race #1.  His client picks flag #1 and
color #2.

Harpo gets the dialogue, selects race #25.  His client picks flag #25 and
color #3.

Groucho's client will display Chico's units with, as appropriately, flag
#1 or color #2.  (Similarly with Harpo's).  If Groucho does not have a
flag #25 in his flags.xpm, his client will display color #3 only.

If *Harpo* does not have a flag #25, his client will display color #3
only.

  ==Jake