Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposal for extensible races framework
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 13:37:58 +1100

Trent Piepho wrote:

> With the tile xpm files being chopped up as they are, (first me taking out the
> small and treaty tiles, then another patch that takes out the road tiles, now
> flag tiles), it's getting annoying to have different tile sets.

Yep, tile sets was the other "extensibility" feature I think
freeciv needs.

I agree with your proposal, although there is one minor thing which
could be helpful in some cases.  Eg, adapted from your diagram:

data --> default +-> tiles.xpm
     |           +-> units.xpm
     |           +-> treaty.xpm
     |           +-> small.xpm
     |           \-> etc...xpm
     +-> large +-> tiles.xpm
     |         +-> units.xpm
     |         \-> flags.xpm

     +-> large2 --> units.xpm

Here large2 would like to default the tiles etc from large, and
only for those not in large, to default back to "default".

But I'm not sure what the best way of doing this might be.

Maybe each directory has a "spec" file, which tells you where
to go for other defaults (before going to "default"), and which
also could have information about the tiles, eg to display when
the client gives a dialog.

[back to races]

> The most difficult part will probably be modifying the client race selection
> dialog so that it's made from race names received from the server.  I suggest
> having flag and color selection be done after races.  ie.  first the race
> dialog pops up and people pick race.  Then a flag dialog pops up and people
> pick their flag.  The default flag for each race would already be selected.

Yep, sounds reasonable.

-- David