Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] requests for roadmap (was: races)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] requests for roadmap (was: races)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:31:01 +1100

Reinier Post wrote:

> > Well, I think the plan is to stick to the roadmap,

> > (But don't other people take that as a licence to go and
> > write huge non-backward compatible patches right now!  :-)
>
> I have a patch more or less ready (more flexible server command line
> handling) and I'd like to see it scheduled in the roadmap, after rulesets.
> It's a fairly simple patch, but I'm not going to want to maintain it
> against changing CVS versions.

I think only fairly large/complicated patches need to be
specifically included in the roadmap.  Especially patches
which affect or reogranise lots of files, or add significant
new features, or have compatibility issues.

Small/simple patches can go in more-or-less any time
they're ready.

> The patch adds
>
>   + reading options from .civserverrc
>   + a 'read' comand to read options from file in the running server
>   + allowing commands and command arguments to be abbreviated

Being fairly simple, affecting only one area, and being server-only,
that should be no problem.

> Examples:
>
>   + add 2 AI messages to the client Message Options window (can't turn
>       them off now)

More detail required, but should be ok to add.

>   + sort server options in the 'show' command

Not sure I like that after I've now put them in a categorised
order, but a different "ashow" command could be ok.  (Or the ability
to "show" individual categories...)

>   + allow city's buildable item list to be sorted as a whole (*grr*)

Make it a client option, and should be fine.

>   + set 'contact metaserver' OFF by default

Heh, I have a script effectively "./ser -n".
It would make sense for there to be some way to sepecify this
in .civserverrc, when we have that.

-- David