Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Tileset infomation files

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Tileset infomation files
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 01:13:51 -0800 (PST)

I finished with my reorganizing of the XPM file locations.  It now works ok, I
can start the client with -tiles civ2 to get the tiles stolen from civ2, or
-tiles dwp to get the new units David made.

The autoconf stuff doesn't know about the new tile locations, so someone who
knows how that works will have to fix it.

I haven't added any kind of information file to the tileset directory, but I
think it would be a good idea.  I'd like to use the registry format that the
saved games uses, since there is already code to deal with it.  I'm not sure
on exactly what should be in it though.  This is my first thought on what it
could look like:

[tileset]
name="Some name for the tileset"
author="Who made it"
opaqueflags=0 or 1     ; do the flags under the units totally cover the tile?
                       ; the default ones do, but the civ2 ones don't

[tiles]       ; info about the tiles.xpm file goes here
columns=20
rows=19       ; how the tiles are arranged in the file
size.x=30
size.y=30     ; the size of the tiles

[units]       ; same thing for the units.xpm file
[small]       ; ditto
[roads]
[treaty]
source="default"    ; this means use the tileset "default" for these tiles

The columns times size.x should be the actual width of the XPM file.  So
having both is actually unnecessary.  So maybe just the tile size should be
put in the info file?  It might also be nice to have the units or tiles split
into separate files, so maybe there should be some way for the spec file to
describe this?

Anyway, I made up example info files for a few tilesets, which I'll attach.