Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] improvement?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] improvement?
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:16:32 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:
> The magical word is: auto-attack
>
> I do not know, if it has been discussed around here, because I did not
> read all the archive, however, it works as follows:

I think it is a brilliant idea. As far as I know, auto-attack has been
discussed earlier only as a means of cheating, ie clients being patched to
use auto-attack against enemy units approaching. Using your idea, I think
maybe cheating can be made much more difficult now...

How about this - to prevent clients from auto-attacking approaching
cannons/artillery/howitzers/diplomats (using an AI-sidekick), it is made
impossible to attack the currently moving unit. This way every unit will
complete its movement before enemy units can attack it. I think that will
fit well into civ/freeciv's turn-based design-philosophy. Human players
very rarely have the time to react within this timeframe anyway, and if
an AI can attack all the time, it will be omnipotent.

The definition of "currently moving unit" needs to be careful, of course,
or the player can cheat by keeping a unit "moving" until the end of turn.
Perhaps by giving the last moved unit a time limit to do its next move
before it is no longer considered "moving".

Comments?

Yours,
Per