Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More American city names

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More American city names
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:05:38 -0200

On Jan 02, Falk Hueffner decided to present us with:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 21:41:33 -0200, Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >Upon connection, each client informs the serer a list of all
> >supported races. So the server computes the intersection
> >(for those not in maths, the set of races supported by all
> >clients) and offers it as the set of possible races.
>
> Well, if you would put that much work in it, it would be much better
> if the server would just send the relevant information to the clients
> at startup.
>
> It would send a list of all race names. If the client has not already
> the flag, it gets also transmitted.

I think this alternative is "evil" (TM). Uses a lot more of
bandwidth and there is the flags problem you see in Trent's
reply. In my sollution there's just a small negotiation period
before game start, when only race _names_ are sent between
clients and servers.

Even if it were not for bandwidth and tilesizes, transmitting
flags and city names would still be wrong:

1: The only client that needs the cityname list for a race is
   the one that will play that race.

2: What if I want to play with Americans and use the Confederate
   flag? Or play with the chinese and use a pre-revolution flag?
   Or play with English and use a Celtic Cross as flag? Or
   Arthur's red dragon?

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls