Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?

To: lduperval@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?
From: Tony & <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:49:37 -0600

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 02:19:00PM -0500, lduperval@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 13 Dec, Scott Goehring wrote:
> > "Reinier" == Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Reinier> This was brought up before: when Freeciv runs on Windows, it
> > Reinier> can directly compete with Microprose's own products.  We
> > Reinier> don't want to give them any reason to take action.
> >
> > I wouldn't be concerned about that, as long as you don't go and steal
> > their artwork.  You can't copyright an idea, after all.
>
> I don't think it's their idea either. I saw a board game from
> Avalon-Hill which looks remarkably like Civ. It's even called
> "Civilization" an the copyright is 1982.

        Hartland-Trefoil held the original Civilization trademark.
Avalon Hill licensed it from them and produced Civilization and Advanced
Civilization as board games.  (AdCiv is in fact the coolest board game ever
produced, by the way, and if you haven't bought a copy yet, pbbbbbt. :) )
        Microprose made Civilization, CivNet, and Civilization 2 as
computer games.  Avalon Hill licensed Civilization to Activision to make
Civ3.
        Hasbro bought Avalon Hill and Microprose, and Microprose bought
Hartland-Trefoil.  Activision's license to the "Civilization" trademark
have been revoked, and their game will be called "Call to Power".

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/gmso/0123/277695.html

        I think there's a very good chance that lawsuits would follow
serious competition for Civilization publishing ground.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.