Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
copyrights etc. (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: copyrights etc. (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:45:07 +0100

> Reinier> This was brought up before: when Freeciv runs on Windows, it
> Reinier> can directly compete with Microprose's own products.  We
> Reinier> don't want to give them any reason to take action.
>
> I wouldn't be concerned about that, as long as you don't go and steal
> their artwork.  You can't copyright an idea, after all.--

Well, patents exist for that purpose.  In our case I don't suppose we're
infringing on any patents, but we may be infringing on trademarks.
Also, court cases have been won over 'look and feel' (Apple vs. Microsoft)
but I don't know on what grounds.

I'm no expert in legal issues and they're probably off-topic for this list.
I do have a personal opinion - call it my conscience if you wish:
Freeciv is greatly indebted to Microprose and, for that reason alone,
should try not to interfere with their commercial interests.

--
Reinier Post                                             reinpost@xxxxxxxxxx