Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: copyrights etc. (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: copyrights etc. (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Win32 client in the works?)
From: Scott Goehring <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:26:32 -0500

"Reinier" == Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Reinier> Well, patents exist for that purpose.  In our case I don't
Reinier> suppose we're infringing on any patents, but we may be
Reinier> infringing on trademarks.

My guess is probably not.

Reinier> Also, court cases have been won over 'look and feel' (Apple
Reinier> vs. Microsoft) but I don't know on what grounds.

'Look and feel' is NOT good law.  L&F theory has been roundly
discredited legally, and anyone who brought one would get smacked
backwards at least five feet and $5,000 by Rule 11.