Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Hoover Dam bug?

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Hoover Dam bug?
From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 16:41:24 -0500

I'm not sure exactly how production increases due to factories and the
Hoover Dam are calculated, but I think they're not being done correctly.

- The help text says that a factory, mfg. plant, and the Hoover Dam each
add 50% to a city's production.  But is that additive or multiplicative?
That is, with a factory and the Hoover Dam, do I get 100+50+50=200%, or
100(1.5)(1.5)=225%?

- Either way, I think the numbers aren't being computed right.  Here are
some examples from a game I have saved.  Each city has a factory, and I
also have the Hoover Dam.

Raw production  Modified production
--------------  -------------------
25              43
14              24
21              36

The multiplier from the first to the second column appears to be 12/7,
which is less than both 2 and 2.25.  The first column I got just by adding
up the production numbers in the squares where the cities workers are.  The
second column is the first number on the "Prod.:" line of the city pop-up:
that is, it's the production before subtracting the number of units that
the city supports.

Andrew E. Schulman
Biometry and Field Studies Branch
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
7550 Wisconsin Ave. Room 7C08
Bethesda, MD 20892
(301) 496-4795
(301) 496-3444 fax