Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hoover Dam bug?

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hoover Dam bug?
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:04:58 -0500

Andrew E. Schulman (andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> - The help text says that a factory, mfg. plant, and the Hoover Dam each
> add 50% to a city's production.

Actually, it says:

  # Hydro Plant
  Reduces the amount of pollution generated in a city.  It also
  increase the production generated by a factory or Mfg. Plant in the
  city by 50%.

(But my copy is a couple weeks old....)

A literal reading of this shows that the code is correct.  The bonus
that you get from a Factory (normally 50%) is increased by 50%, so
that you get a 75% production bonus.  With a Mfg. Plant and a Hydro
Plant, the MP's normal 100% bonus is increased by 50%, to 150%.

> Raw production        Modified production
> --------------        -------------------
> 25            43
> 14            24
> 21            36

This is a 75% increase in each case.

I'd say that the help text is a bit unclear, since this is easily
confusing.  (I didn't know it, either, until I checked the code just now.)

Perhaps the following wording would be better...?

# Hydro Plant
Reduces the amount of pollution generated in a city.  It also
increases the production generated by a Factory or Mfg. Plant in the
city: a Factory and a Hydro Plant together give a 75% production
bonus, and a Mfg. Plant and a Hydro Plant together give a 150%
production bonus.
A city can only have one Hydro Plant, or a Power Plant, or
a Nuclear Plant.

Of course, similar changes would have to be made to the other two "Plant"
entries.  I'd do a patch, but I don't have a current CVS snapshot right
now and I know there have been help text changes recently.

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx