Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Porting

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Porting
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:09:22 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Patrick Edson wrote:
> I'm trying to get the Freeciv client up and running on BeOS.

Cute.

> It's only been a day, but things are starting to work.  The
> question I have is whether there is any interest in incorporating
> changes to the client that would make it a little more platform
> neutral.

This is a stated goal for the client in the long-term, yes. I would not
expect radical patches in that direction getting in before 1.8 though.

> The type of changes range from the simple like adding some
> #ifdef __BEOS__

Could kludges like that be kept to an absolute minimum, please? I know
that is hard, but that makes it so much easier to maintain afterwards.

Maybe you could give some examples of things you have patched to date, so
that we see what is involved.

> isolating the X-specific stuff a little more to make it easier to
> plug other GUI code.

See above.

Have you tried to get the server running?

Yours,
Per