Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Porting

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Porting
From: pedson@xxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:47:52 -0500 (EST)

> On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Patrick Edson wrote:
> > I'm trying to get the Freeciv client up and running on BeOS.
>
> Cute.

In what sense?

> > It's only been a day, but things are starting to work.  The
> > question I have is whether there is any interest in incorporating
> > changes to the client that would make it a little more platform
> > neutral.
>
> This is a stated goal for the client in the long-term, yes. I would not
> expect radical patches in that direction getting in before 1.8 though.
>
> > The type of changes range from the simple like adding some
> > #ifdef __BEOS__
>
> Could kludges like that be kept to an absolute minimum, please? I know
> that is hard, but that makes it so much easier to maintain afterwards.
>
> Maybe you could give some examples of things you have patched to date, so
> that we see what is involved.

Judging by the response this was a poor example.  It was only meant to
imply a change that did not significantly change a function's location,
structure, etc... unlike the interface changes.  I had just commented out
two includes that were not compatible, and had noticed some #ifdef AIXs
to control includes, so it was in my head.

> > isolating the X-specific stuff a little more to make it easier to
> > plug other GUI code.
>
> See above.
>
> Have you tried to get the server running?

For those familiar, this is all with the Intel version of BeOS, since
the PowerPC version doesn't use gcc and I don't want to deal with that
yet.  libcivcommon and libcivai compile fine.  The server compiles, but
hangs after starting up.  I think I know where at least some of the
problem lies, but I have mostly been working on the client, which at
this point can connect to the server and choose a race when the game
starts, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks to all who responded for the info.

Patrick Edson