Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] an easier AI

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] an easier AI
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 23:04:36 +1100

I've put in the patch I posted earlier to have an easy AI mode by
making some of the AI decisions "fuzzy".  Plus a change to make
the easy AI less expansionistic; Nicolas Brunel correctly pointed
out to me that the AI's aggressive expansionism is one of the main
things which makes it strong against inexperienced players.

I've also made the default skill "easy" (for new players who don't
know to set the skill level), and in the server it now always prints
the actual skill level instead of "default".

I'm hopeful that these changes now make an AI which is not too
overwhelming for new players, but still interesting enough for them
to play against.  (One case where it could still be a bit intimidating
is if you happen to start close to an AI player, since it can still be
aggressive, just not in terms of building more of its own cities.)

-- David