Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Silliness in FC_CHECK_X_LIB

To: wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Silliness in FC_CHECK_X_LIB
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:26:21 +1100

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> David Pfitzner (dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > >   After AC PATH XTRA: LIBS=, X_LIBS= -L/usr/X11R6/lib, X_PRE_LIBS= -lSM
> > > -lICE, X_EXTRA_LIBS=
>
> > Is there any reason at all that the freeciv configure puts X_PRE_LIBS
> > _after_ X_LIBS
>
> See above.  And below.
>
> > , given that according to the autoconf docs, (talking
> > about AC_PATH_XTRA)
> >
> > % And it checks for
> > % special X11R6 libraries that need to be linked with before
> > % `-lX11', and adds any found to the output variable `X_PRE_LIBS'.
>
> That may or may not be true.  However, it's certainly incomplete.
> Since AC_PATH_XTRA puts a linker flag in X_LIBS, and libraries appear
> in the directory named by that flag in X_PRE_LIBS, it seems that X_LIBS
> must be placed before X_PRE_LIBS on the command line.

I think you're referring to the "-L/usr/X11R6/lib" in X_LIBS and the fact
that -lICE and -lSM are in that directory?
I think thats not a problem, because I think the order of the "-L" with
respect to the "-l" options doesn't matter.  The "-L" just globally modifies
the search path to use to find libs.  Yes/No?

Otherwise AC_PATH_XTRA would seem (even more) broken.

-- David