Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] ships & rivers (was: A suggestion which might add somethin

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] ships & rivers (was: A suggestion which might add something to the game)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:16:22 +0100

> True, but perhaps there could be a technology for building canals.
> Engineers could be used to build canals, either on land without rivers
> or by improving an existing river.

One way of doing this:

  http://cursus02.win.tue.nl:4321/tmp/freeciv/wishlist

section 8.2.2

(No, I do not actually plan to implement all of that.)

BTW rivers have 3x the speed of normal land - this makes me wonder if
Civ originally had boats sailing up rivers, and replaced it with this
feature for some unknown reason.  (Too cumbersome to move all these ships
around?)

--
Reinier Post