Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A suggestion which might add something

To: Torkild Hovde Lyngstad <torkildl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A suggestion which might add something to the game
From: Sigurd Brattsti Sørensen <sigurdbs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 21:56:39 +0100 (MET)

> > > Would it be possible to implement that ships could sail up rivers?
> > > It's just something that's been annoying me, it's really quite natural
> > > that
> > > a ship should be able to sail on rivers. In addition it would bring some
> > > new aspects to the game, like being able to move ships form inland lakes
> > > to the ocean.
> >
> > It is not always that naturally for a ship to be able to sail up
> > a river.
> > Most oceanic ships cannot sail in shallow water as rivers are.
> > It would be unrealistic to sail a hangarship or battleship up
> > any small river!
> But what about triremes and caravels?

Are rivers in Freeciv really small? If you look at a city like London,
you know it's one of Britain's largest Harbour cities, even though it lies
by a river.
Maybe there should be som extra attrib to ships and rivers which tells how
deep waters the ships need to sail in? This would also mean that rivers
shold be more shallow far inland than near the coast..?
Maybe there should even be a possibility for engineers to modify rivers
with regards to depth?
But i guess these are changes which are a few versions ahead, since it
would mean changing quite a lot.. :) (maybe even new wonders?)

               Sig.                |           URL location:
    mail: sigurdbs@xxxxxxxxxx      | http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~sigurdbs