Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Silliness in FC_CHECK_X_LIB

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Silliness in FC_CHECK_X_LIB
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 08:32:27 -0500

David Pfitzner (dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I think you're referring to the "-L/usr/X11R6/lib" in X_LIBS and the fact
> that -lICE and -lSM are in that directory?
> I think thats not a problem, because I think the order of the "-L" with
> respect to the "-l" options doesn't matter.  The "-L" just globally modifies
> the search path to use to find libs.  Yes/No?

Under GNU ld, what you say is true -- the linker is smart enough to scan
the whole argument list before it complains about missing libraries or
missing symbols.  Under traditional Unix "ld"s, though, this is not the
case.  The order of the arguments to a non-GNU ld is *vitally* important.

That's one of the things I find so frustrating about the autoconf docs.
They never say whether something gets added to the end of a variable,
or to the beginning.  The only ways to find out are by actually reading
the macro itself, or by trial and error.

> Otherwise AC_PATH_XTRA would seem (even more) broken.

Unless I'm missing something, I think it is.  Perhaps, though, the things
that end up in X_LIBS and X_PRE_LIBS actually make more sense on other
systems where they need to make sense...?

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx