Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor

To: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Esben Haabendal Soerensen" <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mitch Davis" <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Nov 1998 20:04:01 -0600

"Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > What about a Perl or Python interface for writing you own helpers ?
> > 1. Portability.
> > 2. Complexity.
> > 3. Size.
> > 4. Speed.
>
> Can you be more specific about 2-4?
> If I get you correctly you're arguing against a Perl interface.

Or Python, but I have far more expertise with Perl.

The trick is in combining interpreted Perl code with compiled C code.
In general, you must link a Perl interpreter into the program (the
easy part).  The hard part is correctly getting the code to work
nicely.  This is not at all a simple task in most cases.

This takes care of #2.  #3 is obvious -- linking in a Perl
interpreter, plus the code necessary to deal with it, increases size
tremendously.  It also requires a full Perl installation on systems
that do not already have one, which can use many megabytes of space.

#4 is also a concern; Perl and Python are interpreted, and while
pretty speedy, are still slower than C.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |