Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor

To: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 09:25:51 +1100

Per Mathisen wrote:

> The CVS version will always be changing. An up-to-date version of the GTK
> port should be put _in_ CVS so that people who commit patches can do so
> against both client sources, and keep both updated. Otherwise we would
> just be playing catch-up forever.

Yes.

> I suggest once 1.7.2 is out, an updated GTK port is put into CVS,
> nevermind it breaking everything for a while, and proceed from there.

I agree.  That's what I'm saving 1.8 for.  I want to release 1.7.2
as the last Xaw-only version, then work towards 1.8 being an Xaw/GTK+
version.

> transition to multiple client targets has to happen sometime, and there is
> no point in waiting since the GTK port itself is very much finished.

Well, the port is finished in that it runs on GTK+ fine, but I still
would like to see only one set of client code, that goes through a layer
to determine which widget set to use.

When and if this is done, I think it would be ready for prime time.

Regards,

Mitch.