Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor

To: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv Shareware competitor
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:55:37 +0000 (WET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Per Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> > Don't know if you folks have been to Freshmeat lately, but i saw there
> > today a FreeCiv competitor (i.e. another Civilization close).
>
> I noticed it too. Once we finish the GTK port, the new tiles and GTK
> is stable on Windows, we will bury them :)

Yeah :)

> The only enviable thing they have is the isometric view (soon). A while
> ago someone said he wanted to port freeciv to OpenGL... *wink wink*

Wasn't someone doing work in an isometric tileset?  Anyways, OpenGL will
do the trick.

> > On another matter... Since it seems freeciv 1.8.0/1.7.2 whatever will go
> > out soon, will that come with the GTK+ client support we have coded in?
> > I so, well probably need to sincronize so that i (or somebody else) add
> > the new extra features to the currently 1.7.1 client compatible GTK+
> > version.
>
> Is the code in ftp://ulven.ifi.ntnu.no/pub/freeciv/fic-gamma2.tar.gz the
> most recent version of the port?

Yes, but it's for the freeciv-1.7.1 release.  I didn't add new things to
the GTK+ client because if i did that i would need to change the Xaw one
also and i don't know how to program in that.  I also didn't make a new
version based on CVS because that keeps changing, and some stuff that is
put there sometimes gets removed.  When the CVS version gets stable
enough, please tell me to make a patch to the client based on that.

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering