Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv1.7.1

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv1.7.1
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 01:20:31 -0200

On Nov 07, Tim Coninx decided to present us with:
> Hi,
>
> I too experienced the problems with the xaw3d library. Although my
> (debian) system has a 'xaw-wrapper' which claims to work around the 3d
> libs, segfaults came up.

xaw-wrapper won't help if you don't use the debian package of
FreeCiv. This is because the program that uses the wrappers
(civclient in this case) must set up some config files for the
wrappers to take effect.

Just use the debian precompiled package. Or if you really must
build it yourself, do the following:

* get the Debianized sources (from the "source" directory in a
  debian mirror) and unpack them; that should be a .orig.tar.gz,
  a .diff.gz and a .dsc file, and after unpacked it should
  produce a directory freeciv-1.x

* get the "debian" subdirectory from inside this dir; save it
  somewhere if you wish

* unpack your brand-new freeciv sources (or get them from CVS).
  The directory name _must_ be freeciv-1.x (or 2.x if it's
  released or whatever)

* copy that "debian" dir into it

* cd to the source dir and _don't_ use "./configure; make" to
  build; instead use "debian/rules binary". This should result
  in a freeciv_1.x_i386.deb file on the parent directory, which
  you can now install (and which won't segfault on you)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls