Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new generalized calendars

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new generalized calendars
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:13:18 -0600

On 2002.08.27 07:37:48 -0600 Raimar Falke wrote:

> Where are the modpack authors?

Present!

If we are strictly discussing calendar issues, all I've _really_ been
requesting is arbitrary start and end dates for the game and an
arbitrary definition of the number and length of the "epochs" that
control the "calendar length" of each game turn.

For the epochs it is sufficient for my needs to be able to say when the
epoch starts and how "long" the turns are during that epoch.  The end
of the epoch is implicit in the beginning of the following one, so all
I really need is a list of the epoch's start dates and turn lengths,
plus an end-of-game date to mark the end of the last epoch.

The overall start and end dates need to be completely arbitrary, so we
can set entire games in the distant past or the distant future.  They
should probably also support arbitrary string substitutions for the
conventional "BC" and "AD", since those two won't be appropriate for
lots of imaginable modpacks.  I.e., you should support dates over both
negative and positive integers (skipping zero!), and allow
specification of one string to tag the negative dates and another to
tag the positive dates.

Notice also the stylistic difference between "221 AD" and "AD 221".
It's purely cosmetic, but if you are going to be working on support for
the tag strings anyway, you may want to support the fore/aft option
while you're at it.  (The question is whether it should be specified by
the modpack or by a player preference.)

Tying innovations in the calendar is OK by me, and someone else might
have a use for that arrangement, but isn't something I need for my
modpack, nor any others that I have ever thought about.

Thanks,
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas