Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new generalized calendars

To: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new generalized calendars
From: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:41:45 +0200

> On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 00:32, T.J.T van Kooten wrote:
>
> Well, I've a copy of civ2 (2.62 scenarios) and civ2tot, and I've
> checked this, well, the manual says the same as you, with 20 'final'
> turn more (for every level).

You seem to be correct on the 1850AD mark. I used the
official Prima strategy guide as reference that one said 150
turns for the final stretch to 2020AD. They forgot to mention
those extra 20 turns. 1850AD is indeed the starting point for
the 1 year/turn

I guess official strategy guides were already slipping 7 years
ago....

> Anyway this is not ALL the story...
>
> 1) If you manage to build Apollo program BEFORE the 150th turn you're
> not allowed to build spaceship parts

This seems to be an issue that really started after Civ2MP
arrived. There you could set the game to double movement
and double production. Never used those settings myself to
be true. So I never experienced it by hand.  I do remember
complaints from certain posters in the Civ2 forums at the
time.

> 2) After you LAUNCH your spaceship (or someone else launches it) the
> calendar promptly start to follow the '1 year/turn' calendar
>
> 3) If the capital city of the involved civilization is conquered or
> that civilization is destroyed, the spaceships return to earth BUT the
> calendar still goes with 1 year/turn. (The amount of total turns
> allowed does not change)

There is a certain logic to the 1/year issue. If time was still
listed in 10 or 5 years/turn increments it could take decades
or centuries to build a spaceship. Wouldn't make sense from
a 'true' historical perspective.

> So spaceship related calendar of Freeciv, isn't a full original idea,
> but it is an 'interpretation' of civilization behavior.

As long as it's a better interpretation I'll won't complain. :-)

CapTVK