Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:50:17 +0100

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:56:10AM -0400, Mark Metson wrote:

> Actually I dont like the whole "gold" concept very much. Like too many
> games it arbitrarily assumes currency even before currency has been
> developed.

That isn't worth fixing because you can't get much gold at the start.
Gold stands for "currency", it's just a shorter word.

> I suspect that the value of such things as gold in particular
> is really that it is a luxury.

No, it is a means to simplify trade once there is a serious economy.

> It is unlikely to be of much value to
> people who do not have the basics of survival.

Yes, if you add a pre-trade phase to Freeciv gold becomes a questionable
entity.

> Only once they have their
> basic survival and are looking for mating ritual advantages and cosmetics
> / jewelry (mating rituals again) is gold likely to become of much use.

This is not "gold" in Freeciv, it is "luxury".

--
Reinier