Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: March 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:36:47 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Mark Metson wrote:
> So simply dont have it, at least until Currency is developed. Or possibly
> better dont have it until "Capitalisation" improvement is developed. The
> ability to magickally move resources around the globe is quite a super
> power, for example in Steve Jackson's Illuminati game its only "The
> Gnomes of Zurich" who can do that and it is their whole claim to being a
> major world-class conspiracy. I think "cash" is part of what makes
> smallpox viable. Without large cities it would take inordinate periods of
> time to build new units, requiring planning way ahead of time and take a
> long time to bring newly discovered techs to the battlefield. With "cash"
> suddenly it all becomes possible despite having no large industrial
> centres. The whole factory/powerstation/manufacturingplant sequence will
> be much more viable and desirable if one cannot magickally cause things to
> instantly appear in the absence of an industrial base.

So what you want is to turn off the option of buying/hastening production
by default, and enable it using a tech flag. I can see the point of that.

But I don't quite see how this stops smallpox. Remember, smallpox players
have much higher total shields production. Not just because they get more
population (1 for free for each settler, and their cities grow faster),
but they also get more resource tiles.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli