Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: June 2001:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: SU planes

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv data/ <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: SU planes
From: Felix Ring <e9925202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:53:25 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Reinier Post wrote:

> > Grzegorz Borowiak dijo/said:
>
> > >I have another idea. Zeppelin. It would have move 6, defense 3 and attack
> > >0 and would have unlimited fuel. Purpose: scout, causing no unhappiness.
>
> How can a zeppelin have defense > 0 ?  And how can it move so fast?

If attack is zero, and it should be, there can't be a defense! Have you
ever seen a Zeppelin flying? Compared to an Armor it moves like a snail.
You'd need an spy drone to reach that speed (which of course could be a
follow up)
btw, have you ever seen "Around the world in 80 days"? There you can see
that Zeppelins don't have unlimited fuel :-)

> > >Overall, I think there are too few air units. And pity that AI don't use
> > >it...
>
> No more than 1% of the games I've played reach the stage of flight.
>
> > That is a COOL idea. I'd give it vision 4, so it'd be a good scout.
> >
> > Of course, it poses a problem: it should be able to be in the same
> > square as an enemy land unit. Has this been implemented in the code?
>
> Isn't this the same for all planes?

I don't think that an unarmed unit would want to fly over powerful enemy
units. Almost every unit can harm a Zeppelin (except a Phalanx, which
could only throw its sword)
And, how would the enemy unit beneath it attack the Zeppelin? I think
ignoring ZOC would be enough for a spy unit.