Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: July 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re: Translation of Freeciv motto

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re: Translation of Freeciv motto
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:04:16 +0200

Hi,

Mathias Hasselmann wrote:

> "The Sid Meyer's Civilization should costing nothing." is
> surely part of the prone. It's probably the first thought
> of the author (who was it - probably we can ask him?).
>
> Then we also have "The sources of Sid Meyer's Civilization
> should be free."
>
> And political: "Civilization (as a group of people) should
> be free."

What about: "a Civilization is free to choose its own way
of development, and its way of living" that's what I prefer :)

> I do not know how someone wants to make a *good* translation
> of this. Since nearly all users of free software have to be
> able to read English. The next point is that current
> implementation of motto rendering looks terrible and
> implementing a high quality algorithm would be a waste of
> time (for this usage).

In my opinion - as a player - it should be left to the
translators, whether to leave it in english or not. Different
languages give different oportunities to translate. A challange
for creativity.

Greetings,

Chris