Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: July 2000:
[freeciv-data] Translation of Freeciv motto

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Translation of Freeciv motto
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:55:23 +0200

The motto of Freeciv "'Cause civilization(s) should be free!"
contains a little trick which only works in the English
language: Civilization *and* civilizations should be free!

Since the motto translated badly into the different languages
(some emphasize the label Civilization others translate the word
civilizations and some keep the motto untouched ¹) and the
realtime rendered text looks ugly I wonder if the motto should
not be part of the intro pixmap.

This would look much better and it would *keep the message*
- which is not translatable in my opinion - untouched.

¹) If you want to review it enter this:

$ for i in po/*.po; do echo -e \\n$i; \
> sed -e '/Cause civilization should be free!/!d' -e n $i \
> done

Ciao
Mathias
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/