Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4744) More pathfinding

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4744) More pathfinding
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:33:07 -0700

Sam Steingold wrote:
> `Go' appears to prefer diagonal paths, ignoring other circumstances.
> If I send a transport (= defenseless unit) from a point with Cartesian
> coordinates (0,0) to the point (0,10), `Go' will take it to (5,5)
> diagonally and then to (0,10), diagonally again.
> what if there is a hostile city near (5,5)?
> I wouldn't want to approach it with a defenseless unit!
> (Is this an AI issue?)

Hmm, I think this was the case with the old goto in 1.14.  But the pf
goto selects a path that appears to be completely random (which is also
not so good).

No doubt some sensible defaults could give the unit more intelligent
behavior:

For military units:

- Passing unknown tiles on the way.
- Passing by enemy units on the way.

For non-military units:
- Staying away from enemy units.
- Taking the most direct route possible.

jason