Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4744) More pathfinding

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4744) More pathfinding
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:56:04 -0700

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > I am not sure why you refer to Chris as "Jason", but as I understand him,
> > the choice is like this:
>
> Programmed reflex action after the last dozen exchanges ...
>   ... my apologies to Chris :-)

hehe :)

> > 1. Reach Nairobi spending 6MP -- 50%
> >    reach Nairobi spending 12MP (by failing an attemp to walk in and
> > walking in next time using all of the move points) -- 50%
> >
> > 2. Reach Narobi spending 10MP  -- 100%
>
> There is still something wrong/missing here. How can you walk in with 2 MP
> to spare in case 2, and yet use them all up (twice over actually) in the
> previous?

Err...  They are two different routes you take?
Initially you have 6MP (with SINGLE_MOVE being 3)

1. start->plain->hill(+rd) = end

the chariot gets to the bottom of the hill with 3 MPs left, with prob 1/2
it fails to get onto the hill wasting the 3 MPs and succeeds next turn
using up all of 6 MPs

2. start->grass->grass->grass+rd->hill+rd = end
        3      3      3         1

Not that I saw these routes in the savegame but I am pretty sure this is
it.

> In any event, when attacking something, my reflex interpretation is not
> to weight the outcome on whether I have MPs after the attack, but whether
> I have MPs to attack, i.e. not actually counting the last move/attack.

There is no attacking involved in this case.  City takeover is considered
a normal move.

> > There is no GUI right now to specify your preferences for a certain mode,
> > but PF is able to handle them.
>
> Ok, so you are already ahead of me on PF coding ...
>
> But I'm not sure why you assume some sort of GUI is needed. All I was
> expecting is a ruleset option, and/or server command to set the default
> PF flag state to pessimistic or optimistic. Unless some code specifically
> requested one mode or the other, then the default would apply. Per user
> default selection might be nice, but isn't as critical as being able to
> change a basic game-wide default, i.e. not be stuck with the current
> hardwired game-wide default.

Right now you need to recompile your client to change the configuration.
AIs use the modes depending on the situation, but of course they don't
complain ;)