Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: pre-patch to new settler code

To: Juhani Heino <juhani.heino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: pre-patch to new settler code
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:01:44 +0200

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:07:18PM +0300, Juhani Heino wrote:
> As a whole, settlers work fine now. Here are some observations from
> my test. Most of them don't regard settlers at all, and some are
> probably taken care of already, but I include all in case somebody
> gets fresh ideas.

Did you use the latest CVS?

> AI plants cities even denser than I do, but that's OK because
> with AI strategy the cities don't get big anyway. But I suggest
> "oceanotropism": the settler would choose the place with max
> amount of ocean squares. That would give more room. I can clarify
> this, but sure you get the idea.

man ics :-)

> Triremes were idling at the port, so they could have been used for
> exploring. Should we make an "appointment", ie. the ship must be
> THERE and THEN, and before that they can explore? They went also
> carelessly to outer sea, but I saw that discussed earlier.

AI knows the hole map, no need for exploring.

> Units should avoid stacking in a same tile. Especially diplomats!

Later you write AI should stack (defending unit + attacker like catapult
+ musketeer)

> Even more inexcusable was sending a task force and leaving
> the city undefended while the enemy was at the gates. The
> city even had walls, still rare at the time. And the suckers
> couldn't even invade the city they were targeting. It's an
> idea that they were avoiding being captured by the diplomat,
> but shooting him and his escort with cannon would have been
> more fruitful, I think.

The power from AI-attacks will increase in future (better unit handling,
better choice of target)

> A city built diplomat as its only defender and was invaded
> at once, of course.

Dipls aren't that bad defenders :-)

> City defenders attacked a phalanx outside. I don't see why
> - they would be better off letting it attack. Not even
> counting the terrain bonus.

Attacking the phalanx before its fortified or to get experiance (get
veteran) isn't that bad idea. When fortified the attacked could bring
his catapult or dipl and its harder to kill that phalanx later.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.