Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: interested in building a new client-side AI

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: interested in building a new client-side AI
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:01:53 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:19:27AM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> I have been thinking about bootstrapping a client AI by starting with
> the player client and incrementally converting the various operations
> to AI control.  That way you would have a workable (testable!) system
> at every step along the way.
>
> For example, start with something easy like the decision of what a city
> should be building or what the tax rate should be, and remove the
> user's controls for that operation when you're happy with the AI's
> performance.  Then move on to the next operation.

This is exactly the idea I have with agents. While you code it you
define an interface with parameters (struct cm_parameter and struct
pf_parameter) and code a GUI as a user of this interface. So you can
test the agent code (and the code is tested by the players ;) ). And
if you have coded enough agents you can let them run by themself. This
is done for an easy case with unit-agents2 (see
http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx/2002/12/msg00252.html.gz).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security.