Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: interested in building a new client-side AI

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: interested in building a new client-side AI
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:19:27 -0600

On 2003.04.21 11:47, David Chen wrote:

I am a Berkeley student working with my professor on implementing an AI for freeciv. We are interested in building a completely new AI agent that knows only as much as the human player. As I understand, the current AI code is a bit messy and is attached to the server side. Moreover, one of the current goals being worked on is building a client side AI. So I was wondering how difficult it would be to build an interface for a client side agent. Since we require no omniscience, it wouldn't need any hack on the server code. If anyone can point me to the files that I need to read to build a clean interface, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have been thinking about bootstrapping a client AI by starting with the player client and incrementally converting the various operations to AI control. That way you would have a workable (testable!) system at every step along the way.

For example, start with something easy like the decision of what a city should be building or what the tax rate should be, and remove the user's controls for that operation when you're happy with the AI's performance. Then move on to the next operation.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas