Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [RFC] Ferry code

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [RFC] Ferry code
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 18:15:24 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > What if there are no coastal towns? In this case I suggest we make a
> > > temporary pick up point in the closest ocean adjacent tile to U.
> >
> > The problem with such pick-up points is that they cannot build boat (this
> > is the problem with Raimar's proposal too).
>
> Yes, but in any fully functional ferry system, actually building another
> boat should be a fall-back. The primary goal is to find a ferry somewhere
> and send it there.

If building a ferry is only a fall-back, how will they ever get built?

> > At this point the search time becomes exponential as we need to construct
> > sub-pf-map for each ferry to estimate time to T(i).
>
> An idle ferry is by definition in a city. Let's cache pf-maps for all
> cities. That will come in handy for a lot of purposes. We're going to do
> the calculations anyway in the danger code, so why not just store them.

We can.

> We need this (look for idle ferries in other cities) to get optimal ferry
> code. Take the situation: We have city A on continent 1 and city B on
> continent 2. A an B are very close. A has a settler that needs a ferry and
> B has an idle ferry.

In my proposal, when settler decides he will go through B, he will inform
B and B will find and book the ferry.  Note that actual ferry-searching
happens only after the unit has decided on the port of embarkation.

> The new settlers code requires ferrying to replace the existing code. I
> have the old and new code working alongside each other (using
> 'experimental'), so I could always put it in as a testbed for ferrying if
> the other maintainers don't object to that. If that is an acceptable way
> of proceeding, I'll fix up that code and post it for review.

Sounds like a good plan.

> > Then I don't understand what you mean by AI build lists...
>
> A city build list (like a worklist), so if you are building a temple or
> something critical, we can schedule our ferry as the next production. This
> way we avoid flip-flopping production. But this isn't very important for a
> first implementation of ferries.

To avoid flip-flopping, you need to remember why something is being built.
Like, "we are building caravan in A to aid wonder in B".  Which means that
A has to be able to check if the goal still exists.  We are struggling to
do that even with the units (I mean that they choosetheir target anew
every turn).