Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3689) server/settler.c

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3689) server/settler.c
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:38:27 -0800

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
[...]
>>Why do we only look at the next 11 squares? With boats we can do up to
>>~90 fields distance with an engineer in 11 rounds.
>
> Because Syela hoped it's enough.  I don't believe it's the main problem.

It should be 13. 11 means you don't look beyond the first ring of cities
for new ones and end up putting cities in any open spot between two cities.

11 might work if cities were spaced exactly 5 apart, but 6 or 7 is a
common case, leaving a tiny strip between them and no ability to look
beyond. BTW: this was one of the corecleanup fixes in its settler cleanup.

> G.

Cheers,
RossW
=====