Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: client-side ai question

To: Bhaskara Marthi <bhaskara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: client-side ai question
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:50:48 +0100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:33:10PM -0800, Bhaskara Marthi wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm a grad student in ai interested in probabilistic
> reasoning and learning, especially reinforcement learning, and am
> looking around for games to use as testbeds.  Freeciv looks like an
> interesting (and hard!) challenge because of the size and partial
> observability of the world and the amount of long-range planning
> needed.  Looking through the archives of this list, I see that there
> are some plans to move the ai to the client-side.  I was just
> wondering if people could give me an idea about when this will
> happen, as such an architecture would make it much easier for me to
> experiment with different approaches.

I'm one of the people which are interested in a client side AI. I have
developed a client which builds settlers, let these settlers build
cities and manage the cities to build more settlers. Even this small
problem is hard since find the right spot for a city isn't trivial.

I posted a patch for this Dec 2002
<http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx/2002/12/msg00252.html.gz>.
The
patch won't apply but you can look at the interface and see if you
like it. Since now the path finding is in I may make a new version in
the next time.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "That's fundamental game play!  My main enemy is *ALWAYS* fighting