Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: client-side ai question

To: Bhaskara Marthi <bhaskara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: client-side ai question
From: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:28:35 +0100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:33:10PM -0800, Bhaskara Marthi wrote:

Hi Bhaskara

> Hi everyone, I'm a grad student in ai interested in probabilistic reasoning
> and learning, especially reinforcement learning, and am looking around for
> games to use as testbeds.  Freeciv looks like an interesting (and hard!)
> challenge because of the size and partial observability of the world and the
> amount of long-range planning needed.  Looking through the archives of this
> list, I see that there are some plans to move the ai to the client-side.  I
> was just wondering if people could give me an idea about when this will
> happen, as such an architecture would make it much easier for me to
> experiment with different approaches.

I think that you don't need to wait for clientside AI.
The Serverside AI is easy to understand and you don't need to look at the
packethandling. And you only need to exchange some mainparts of the AI
to see effects.
Spectating what your AI is doing is no problem too.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: