Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3689) server/settler.c

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3689) server/settler.c
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 05:36:21 -0800

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 05:16:13AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > I guess the best way forward would be to first clean the routine up
> > (I believe we have something to learn from it) and then try to formulate a
> > better (simpler) solution.Or just polish the existing one.
> >
> > Any takers for the cleaning job?
>
> I've tried several times, since my last posted cleanup of this file. I
> gave up each time - the code is just so bad, I started rewriting it from
> scratch instead. I used virtual cities, which allows for more code reuse
> and avoids much of the stupid second-guessing of other parts of the code
> which is done in settlers.c now.
>
> I have a funky new settlers code lying about here, which is way better
> than the existing code, but it has no support for ferries or terrain
> improvement yet. It is on hold until the former has been sorted out. And
> ferries await pf.
>
> Let me know if you want my preliminary code. It is currently broken
> against current cvs, but it shouldn't be too much work to update it.

Send it to rt. Think every good idea for the settler code should be
tried out. And even without ferries you can see if AI is able to settle
a big island better/faster than with the old code. There are many cases
where current AI get stuck in the 2 city age.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: