Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI Diplomacy v8 (PR#2413)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI Diplomacy v8 (PR#2413)
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:37:37 -0800

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> This is a new version of the AI Diplomacy patch with substantial rewrites
> of some portions of the patch. Thanks to Jordi, Richard and Chris for
> playtesting the previous version (I hope I didn't forget anyone now).
>
> CHANGES:
>  - treaties now based on trust, not gold alone
>  - allow space victory for team members
>  - make hatred count more
>  - disallow negative hatred
>  - ensure ally patience is correctly zeroed when war declared
>  - if you get a "No" from a human player, don't ask again

what, ever?  Why not?

>  - fixed insane gold equivalence of techs when there is a huge
> research disparity
>  - fixed many other bugs
>  - you can give the AI gifts, it will like you more (more trust,
>    but hatred remains unchanged)
>  - you can no longer agree with AI to lower your treaty level
>  - lots of other stuff I am sure
>
> Please playtest. I will now start working on the diplomacy rules that I
> discussed earlier. It will make AI Diplomacy so much more enjoyable.

I haven't tested it yet, but I looked at the code for about an hour...

It's quite well documented, but I get a feeling that there is no grand
plan to it.  This refers mostly to hatred / war desire / trust thing.  I
don't see from the code how hatred is different from trust. Maybe you
could write a brief explanation of the design, answering these questions:

1. What is trust?  How is it calculated?
2. What is hatred, how is it calculated?
3. How trust affects our evaluation of a clause/treaty?  How trust affects
our desire to propose a clause/treaty?
4. Same question but about hatred.
5. How hatred / trust affects our desire to go to war?
6. Does fear of a nation comes into play at any point?

Maybe I am too much of a "math nerd", as you put it ;) but I would like to
see formulas first and then their implementation.  Then, after we agree on
the basic mechanics governed by formulas we can discuss small details like
"why do you figure our dip_state into war_desire in two different places?"
:)