Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: February 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Exploring madness

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Exploring madness
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:44:14 -0600

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:56:24PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> Quoting Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > A slightly better technique used in the core cleanups is to have
> > exploring units go home as some function of the distance and a low
> > random probability. Their normal tendency is to beeline it in a
>
> This is rather clever idea.  And cheap to implement too.  Can you make a patch
> please (but probably after 3013 gets committed, otherwise we'll spend more
> time
> on conflict resolution).
>
> > fixed direction to get as far away from their centers as possible.
> > But something that keeps them circling back will both insure that
> > nearby unknown tiles get uncovered, and they can be used as patrol
> > or protectors. Non-military explorers on the otherhand should be
> > less likely to return, thus having a better chance to make far
> > reaching discoveries and pickup loose huts before others find them.

        If you want to ensure that nearby unknown tiles get covered, you can
change their desirability.  A simple linear value function of distance will
ensure that closer tiles get explored before those much further away.

> > A more radical technique might be to introduce a strategic concept
> > such as "warcamp". A warcamp is something that can be placed
> > anywhere and moved at any time, maybe like a pseudo-unit. It has a
> > "capacity" in that a fixed number of units can signup to bodyguard
> > the warcamp. Military exploration (in force) can be handled by
> > exploring warcamps. They could also be used to manoeuvre armies
> > about the map and position them for attacks. The warcamp would
> > "disband" when everyone was collected near the target to free
> > them for military attack.
>
> This is another very clever idea.  I was toying with such concepts for some
> time, in my mind, but didn't define it as clearly.  However, the first
> priority
> should be a strategic concept such as "target".  Right now each unit finds a
> target for itself.  We need the goverment to select few targets and then
> individual units to choose between these strategic targets and tactical
> opportunities such as killing this cheeky diplomat who just walked past me!

        Yes.  The general concept of marshalling points is good.  The first
category of marshalling points needed is immediate targets.  The defensive
corollary is cities with high danger.