Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: December 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2477) Improved Auto-Explore

Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2477) Improved Auto-Explore
From: "Cameron Morland via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:28:43 -0800

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:15:16PM +0000, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Guest via RT wrote:
>
> > I fiddled with the values, and the result seems better. I made far away
> > tiles less desirable, and changed the relative value of same/different
> > tiles.
>
> Well, the values do look like someone fiddled with them :)
>
> Why would we want to give any score to a known tile, whether same terrain
> or different?  Can't base score be just added to both land_ and ocean_
> scores?

Even if we won't explore any ocean tiles, we'd still like to stay coastal.
So choices that keep us near known coasts, but don't explore new ocean,
are slightly valuable. Otherwise the explorer has a tendancy to reach a point
where it won't be able to explore more ocean, and it'll give up and head off
across country.

Note that if a move reveals zero tiles, it has a score of zero, even if it
has different known tiles.

> I have other comments too, but I'd rather communicate them by changing the
> code.

I'll be rather out of touch for the next three weeks.