Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: uploaded new versions of teams and massive AI patches

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: uploaded new versions of teams and massive AI patches
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:15:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> Committing a massive patch should not be a problem. But before doing this
> it should go through parallel scrutiny or exercising by several people.
> Just run it for a week or two as the dev-branch of choice for several
> developers.

For the current massive AI patch, I don't see why testing it out as a huge
diff is more difficult than testing it out as a branch.

> This is why having several people maintain a dev-branch and
> do most of their work on it with periodic resyncs from headrev and a final
> back checkin is a good way to handle area specific projects.

It gets less transparent this way. It gets *much* harder for people to see
which changes do what and are connected to which change when it is part of
a huge final diff between trees.

> Lot of littleunchecked patches with interactions are no better than a
> single unchecked big one.

The current huge diff in question is composed of patches that have gone
through several iterations as separate patches on this list.

> <GB>
> In the future we should avoid doing this.In particular, we can commit
> small changes faster, to avoid patch entanglement.
> </GB>

I agree completely with GB on this. My massive AI patch is an unfortunate
abberation.