Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Generalised improvements AI support

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-ai <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Generalised improvements AI support
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 04:10:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > > The current approach is that the modpack writer submit a patch which
> > > implement a new flag and this flag is added to the CVS. At some point
> > > we have a convex hull over all flags.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by convex hull.
>
> At some point we have all flags which are useful for modpack
> writers. I know that we have to do something before we add the 100th
> flag. But we are from this now.

We'll never get to this ideal state. I've considered the kind of flags I would
need to implement to support Civ III and SMAC, and it's very difficult to do so
with the current system. No doubt something could be kludged up, but it would
be far cleaner to do it the AC way.

> > We need all the generality we can possibly get.
>
> No. If you follow this you would end up having scripts in the ruleset
> and afterward the complete game in the ruleset.

And if we follow your logic to the logical extreme, we'll junk C, and write
hand optimised assembly. More performance is always better.

> > There is a big difference in the time it would take a modpack writer to be
> up to speed with the two systems. The flags way, the writer must get
> proficient with freeciv code. The AC way, anyone can easily write their own
> modpacks.
>
> IMHO the ease of a modpack writer isn't one of the primary goals. That
> the game is playable however is one. And this goal can't be satisfied
> with a very slow game.

True. And I want a fast game myself. I'm just willing to trade a bit of
performance for more functionality. Let's postpone this performance discussion
for now. Neither side has any numbers to support their position.

>       Raimar
>
> --
>  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  "We just typed make..."
>     -- Stephen Lambrigh, Director of Server Product Marketing at Informix,
>                          about porting their Database to Linux

Aloha,
RK.

You can't dodge your responsibilities by saying they don't exist!
{The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, 1980, Douglas Adams}