Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: cvs questions

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cvs questions
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:35:30 -0600

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:55:43PM -0800, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> I'm a newbie to cvs and would like to use it at work
> and at home to work on source code. I'm presently
> doing some labs at WSU CS dept (Debian Sarge) and have
> set up a cvsroot in my home there. Now I'd like to
> work on the files at home (Fedora3). I don't think Tom
> would want to fool with setting up a cvs server just
> for me, so I'm thinking I've got to somehow checkout
> stuff, then scp it to my home machine, work on it,
> then scp it back and do commits. Also, it seems
> logical to set up a duplicate module here. But this
> seems to be a kudge... Am I missing something here?
> ssh -X is an option, but not my first choice.

It's actually pretty easy. CVS has the built in capability of
connecting to a cvsroot using rsh or ssh. ssh of course is better if
you are connecting over an insecure network, and easier to set up. All
you need to do is set the following environment variable in your
account on any remote host. You can probably put this in your .profile
or equivalent.

export CVS_RSH=ssh

Then you will also want to set the CVSROOT environment variable to
point to the cvsroot. On the host where your cvsroot actually lives,
you will probably want something like:

export CVSROOT=/home/username/cvsroot

Modify to the correct path.

Then on remote hosts, do something like:

export CVSROOT=:ext:username@host:/home/username/cvsroot

Again, change things to fit your environment.

Now on the local or a remote host, just do:

cvs co foo

Where foo is the module that you want to checkout.

Steve